Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

10763 Posts in 1147 Topics- by 104 Members - Latest Member: oichick621

August 22, 2017, 03:38:44 PM
The Wheelchair ZoneThe Wheelchair ZoneSite AnnouncementsPulling the plug on ahiruzone...
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pulling the plug on ahiruzone...  (Read 173 times)
Mark
Administrator

BIID: L2|L3 complete.

« on: August 02, 2017, 04:46:32 PM »

OK guys, let's face it- The Wheelchair Zone is dead!

We're renewed up to March of next year, after that, it's quits for this site.

There's just no relevance anymore, no activity, nobody has anything new to say, blah blah blah. It's just time...

I'm actually just the curator here- "administrator" is too big a word for what I actually do...
Ellen

BIID : T9/T10 complete

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »

Where are we supposed to go once this place goes down?

"Look at me - quivering.
Like a little girl - shivering."
Mark
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »

Where are we supposed to go once this place goes down?

Where is everybody now?

Nobody is contributing, the latest member hasn't posted an introduction, and I've been paying for hosting and domain registration for the sake of 4 members.

I just get the impression that there's nothing left to say on the subject- and we've dried up. Has everyone gone to Facebook? Somewhere else? People are going somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be here!

I'm actually just the curator here- "administrator" is too big a word for what I actually do...
WheelieJane

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »

I am here and to be honest this place is a part of "home" now, wherever that is. I am active on only one other platform and tumbleweeds roll bigger there. The only other community for us is in Reddit and it's next to empty.

The wheelchair zone is the place that I've found in my darkest moments and what made me believe that I am neither nuts nor alone and that was even before I became a forum  member. This is not only a meeting place for our kind of people but also a source of information and hope for those out there.

Mark I understand your situation and I'd like to say that I'm willing to learn and do whatever is necessary to keep this place alive.
Ian

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:11:22 AM »

It has been very quiet recently, that's for sure.
I pop in occasionally, but I am afraid i don't say very much.

Ian
Beth

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 03:03:14 PM »

I pop by, but I haven't had any questions to ask, and there haven't been any questions from anyone else to answer.

It'd be sad to see this place go, and I haven't found anywhere else to go. But it's been pretty dead here for ages already.

With Transabled gone, and Ahiruzone going I wonder where the youngsters will go to find out they aren't alone? Hopefully the media attention will have got that message out there.

I helped pay a hosting bill a year or two back, but I agree it's not worth it this time.

Thank you everyone for the massive help you were to me a few years ago back on Transabled when I discovered I'm not alone. Thank you for coming on the journey with me and helping me to find a solution that works for me. I'll be forever grateful.
newlyaj
Gallery User

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 01:21:31 AM »

yeah sorry. i stopped coming in to look at the forum as i have found that a lot of the posts are about BIID which i am not and dont feel like i have anything to contribute unfortunately.

i have posted about talking to people on here via facebook but no one seemed interested so i just kept it at coming in a few times a year to see if someone has commented on anything i had posted.

i do have love for the help and support i got on here when i was newly disabled with my CRPS and newly in my wheelchair. i hope i can keep the friendships i felt like i made here but not sure if those people feel the same.

it would suck to see it go but i understand that if its dead then maybe its time to end it. as i said i have a boat load of thanks to those who supported me when i first came here at the start of my disabled journey.  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

....I'm being my own hero....
...One challenge at a time...
Chloe

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »

yeah sorry. i stopped coming in to look at the forum as i have found that a lot of the posts are about BIID which i am not and dont feel like i have anything to contribute unfortunately.

i have posted about talking to people on here via facebook but no one seemed interested so i just kept it at coming in a few times a year to see if someone has commented on anything i had posted.

i do have love for the help and support i got on here when i was newly disabled with my CRPS and newly in my wheelchair. i hope i can keep the friendships i felt like i made here but not sure if those people feel the same.

it would suck to see it go but i understand that if its dead then maybe its time to end it. as i said i have a boat load of thanks to those who supported me when i first came here at the start of my disabled journey.  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

You are more than welcome to be my Facebook friend, newlyaj. I am also a member of an Australian disability support group on Facebook in which I am open about BIID.
WheelieJane

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »

What I'll miss about this place is the comradery. Maybe a closed Facebook group can be solution? Or maybe you guys can join Reddit?
philak
Gallery User

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 04:23:19 PM »

Yes, where is everybody?
Is there a secret place somewhere out there?
Facebook is too commercial and taking one's data for whatever purposes.

I guess that the start page of ahiruzone.com is not inviting enough, the picture doesn't tell what this all is about, and the forum is nearly hidden and not announced.

Maybe the entrance would have to be remodeled?

Yes, we don't have much new to say - but we are not new ourselves. But we can offer support, information, experiences, and some contacts. I am certain that there ARE people out there who need some of this. They just don't find in.

And maybe the focus is not clear enough: is it just about wheelchairs, is it about BIID, is it about pretending, is it about real life or fantasy...? "where wheelchair users and BIID/transabled unite!", does this say enough to those who are looking for information?

Ok, these are sentences like "somebody should do something", and I am the last to do anything with computers...

Big thank you to all those who put their effort and energy into this site!

philak
Gallery User

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »

An additional remark:
On the start page the newest entry is of July 28, 2016 at 07:05.
Most people choose sites which are up-to-date.
I never understood why there are blog-like entries and comments in "recent posts" and "recent comments" AND in a forum.
It seems that nobody uses the posts and comments on the web site itself. And do we think that the information provided there is important, correct and inviting enough?

sethrd

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 06:51:56 AM »

I offered to take over the registration of the domain and provide web hosting for the site. That offer is still on the table.

While I can't do much about bringing traffic, new posts or users, I can at least keep the forums up and running for those of us who like being able to come and review stuff. Much like WheelieJane, this place is a safe haven for me.
Mark
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »

An additional remark:
On the start page the newest entry is of July 28, 2016 at 07:05.
Most people choose sites which are up-to-date.
It seems that nobody uses the posts and comments on the web site itself.

Nobody has contributed...

There is one post that has been pending but never published, and from Dec. 20, 2008.

Don't know what to tell you...

I tried to do a jump start with the nonsense section, more or less turned into my own posts and had very little interest. (Photobucket isn't free any more, so that got killed...)

Can't publish the internal stuff on the outside, either- too much personal info.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 12:44:48 PM by Mark » Logged

philak
Gallery User

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »

I didn't mean to criticize that there are no newer contributions in the "posts" on the start page, but I wanted to question that posts there are necessary. Maybe just the site itself needs another look and feel to invite people, and discussion could concentrate on the private forum - which then could be announced more clearly and visibly.

It seems to be difficult to keep posts up-to-date. Maybe some general information and advice on the start page would be enough.

Is it clear for new visitors or those searching via a search machine what ahiruzone.com is about and is offering?

It's interesting that in a time when researcher publish articles about BIID more than once a year an international forum should find no interest. What are the reasons?

Just some thoughts...

Many thanks to those who built and kept ahiruzone.com up!

Kind regards
Phil
Mark
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »

I offered to take over the registration of the domain and provide web hosting for the site. That offer is still on the table.

While I can't do much about bringing traffic, new posts or users, I can at least keep the forums up and running for those of us who like being able to come and review stuff. Much like WheelieJane, this place is a safe haven for me.

I contacted the other administrator and moderator about your offer long ago- and got no response. Hosting and domain registration are paid up until March of next year, and I'm actually getting ready to hand you the keys.

I was hesitant to hand this off to a newbie (please don't be offended, offense isn't intentional) who was new member with little activity, but now you become heir to this vast mess!

Your email address is in your account information, I'll contact you in a couple of days.

I have to go into the GoDaddy account and remove some of my stuff (my credit card info!) and after that, it's yours. You get to do as you please with it after then. I stated before that I'm really not all that web savvy, not really good with what it actually takes to keep this going well, so I wish you all the best.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme blue-lt created by Egad Community :: Based from orange-lt created by panic